The Carpenter - Framer is responsible for the construction, erection, installation and repair of structures and components of portable buildings that are made of wood, wood-substitutes and other materials. Based in our Aldergrove manufacturing plant, the regular shift for this position is Monday to Friday,7:00 AM - 3:30 PM. Hours of work and shift schedule may be modified subject to business requirements. Successful candidates must have flexibility to accommodate changes to work schedule.
This position is safety sensitive and will require drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
The Carpenter - Framer performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints, drawings and specifications.
- Determine specifications and calculate requirements.
- Start and complete jobs according to drawings and within the allotted time frame.
- Prepare layouts.
- Measure, cut, shape and assemble wood materials and drywall.
- Build floor beams and sub flooring.
- Build walls and install partitions.
- Install insulation.
- Understand all safety procedures of work place.
- These tasks require work with the following tools: sawsall, skill saw, chop saw, table saw, radial arm saw, drills, drill press and air tools.
- Clean work area and equipment, including saws.
- Cleans and stores tools and equipment and cleans work sites.
- Completes daily Job Hazards Assessments and Pre Job Task Hazard Analysis forms.
- Wears required Personal Protective Equipment at all times during work hours.
- Other duties as required.
- Instruct apprentices and carpenter’s helpers/labourers as required.
- Interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
Required Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Completion of the Carpenter Trade Certification from an accredited University or College.
- Minimum of 3 years’ carpentry-related work experience on construction sites.
- Considered to have extensive knowledge of the carpentry trade.
- Able to operate all hand and power tools required to perform tasks specific to trade.
- Able to demonstrate organizational, time-management and decision-making skills.
- Able to manage a fluctuating workload and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Able to work individually and as a team member able to safely and comfortably carry out physical duties.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to health/safety of self and co-workers.
- Perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, carrying and lifting heavy objects weighing up to 45 lbs.
- Walks approximately 2-4 kilometers per day on a variety of surfaces including, concrete and gravel.
- Working at heights when required.
- Requires manual dexterity of both hands and feet to perform activities such as lifting overhead, twisting and bending while lifting, climbing ladders and stairs while wearing protective equipment, and working in confined spaces, including repetitive arm motion below, at, and above shoulder level.
- The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.