City Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
Start Date Jan - Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of this placement is to assist the Department of Rural Development with the objective of enhancing and improving the day to day human resources management system; supporting the establishment of guidelines and procedures; and making links between paper-based and computer-based data.
This placement is intended to continue the work of the current HR Management Advisor volunteer, who was seconded to DRD in June 2016.
Whilst the current Administration Department is responsible for HR, there is no one specifically assigned to the HR function and DRD feels their current recruitment strategy needs to be updated to incorporate the wider remit of their department and to ensure strong performance management and well defined roles for all their team members.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Research and learn from organizations in Myanmar, including other government ministries, as relevant, or parliament, in order to understand how HR operations are being implemented and sustained.
- Support the human resources functions within DRD’s current Administration and Operations system with the objective to strengthen the current staffing recruitment & performance management system.
- Enhance English language skills of the management team.
- Strengthen and systematize the use of computer and software platforms for HR data management and internal/external communications.
- Continue to promote a positive HR management culture, sharing HR concepts and theories, best practices and effective people management systems.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to HR management and Organizational Behavior.
Essential Professional Background:
- Proven ability to establish collaborative relationships with senior leaders and leading organizational change associated with implementation
- 5-7 years of progressive HR experience, with a proven track record of establishing and leading new initiatives from the ground up.
- Experience teaching English as a second language.
- Capacity to assess, develop, and implement sustainable HR processes and guidelines in alignment with organizational needs
- Organizational Development and program strategy experience
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated experience of working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work alongside an interpreter and patience in ensuring effective communication, particularly with technical speech.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation