Location Mtwara, Tanzania
Start Date Feb - Apr 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Business Management Advisor, apply your management skills to directly mentor small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs) the Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-LED) project supports in Mtwara, Tanzania.
The aim of the Business Management Advisor role is to coach various SMEs to grow their enterprises in food processing and natural resource product production. You will establish working relationships with local SMEs through the introduction of SIDO and the T-LED field manager and build a mentor-mentee relationship. By utilizing your management skills, SMEs will learn from your business insights in the production and sale of goods. By working with T-LED national volunteers, you will be supported in language and cultural interpretation when fostering relationships with various local SMEs. This role does entail a solid understanding of business fundamentals, as well as some work experience as an entrepreneur or in manufacturing, to properly advise SMEs on the growth of their businesses.
You will be well supported by the Mtwara team, all eager to collaborate with you to improve the local growth of SMEs through your knowledge and input.
Come join a dynamic T-LED team!
As a volunteer, you will:
-Train SME staff in business management, including market analysis and developing business plans
-Support and recruit target SMEs to achieve standards required by the foreign investors
-Coach and mentor SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff to improve business support services
-Develop tools and training materials with SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff that can be used in their business development services
-Improve capacity of SMEs to win contracts with companies in the extractives and agriculture value chains
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- bachelor’s Degree in Business, Value Chain Management, or another relevant field
Essential Professional Background:
- 3 – 5 years’ work experience in a management position
- 3 – 5 years’ management experience in the production of a good for sale
- Facilitation and training skills; experience in development and delivering workshops
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months