The R&D Pastry Chef designs new, innovative products that both positively influence The Original Cakerie brand and contribute to the company's success. As a key member of our Product Design & Innovation team, you will possess both an in depth culinary knowledge and innate creative ability combined with a sound Food Science background, understanding that product design and development is a process of balancing creativity with methodical testing and evaluating; where only a few unique products are successful in making it to market.
Developing new products from concept through to the prototype phase, you will bring with you a working knowledge of commercialization while working closely with a cross functional team .
Duties will include:
- Would be accountable for designing and developing new products based on business case and project scope. Developing new product from concept to development, supporting through to commercialization.
- Equipment, ingredient and product testing knowledge
- Is a leader on trends / newest ingredients / top chefs / competitors and provides updates in these areas.
- Compiles accurate and timely summary documents, guidelines, test data and trial plans
- Ensures constant and accurate updates are provided to Sr. Director PDI on status of all projects
- Identifies risks to new product time lines and ensures they are communicated to the Sr. Director PDI.
- Be a key participant in delivering all new product launches to market – transformational products, SKU configurations, custom work for customers, and line extensions.
- Construct proof of concept samples for new products. Prepare and present samples and specifications for customer presentations and sign off.
- Contributes in driving the internal innovation process from a culinary perspective, identifying trends and new product development opportunities to support customer needs.
- Work within the timelines of the product development process to ensure smooth and efficient collaboration with the marketing, procurement and operation teams.
- Responsible for managing own projects and providing guidance to other Product Developers as required
- Red Seal or equivalent designation is desirable as is a Culinary Bachelor’s degree from an accredited program.
- Food Science Degree or Food Technology Diploma desired.
Experience & Skills:
- 8 years bakery or pastry experience; product developer in a bakery environment, manufacturing a requirement.
- Exceptional palate and sensory skills. Strong working knowledge of ingredient functionality, exceptional baking skills. On top of current trends.
- Ability to skillfully prepare desserts / cakes / bars etc and develop exciting market driven products.
- Previous responsibility for recipe development and standardization.
- Excellent knowledge of food and current culinary trends.
- Must have a strong customer and achievement orientation, and a tenacity to take action and drive for solution.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Able to multitask with various projects and to manage multiple projects with competing demands involving cross organizational departments.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) SharePoint and ERP / Navision systems. Strong computer skills
- Demonstrated history of creative product development
- Self-directed individual with initiative, responsible for managing own projects and ensuring all timelines are met or exceeded.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to represent the company and project team in a professional manner.
- Strong ability to manage accurate up to date records, both hard copy and electronic.
- Experience working in a manufacturing facility or industrial bakery
- Past history of working on C/F teams
- Strong time management skills and attention to detail.
- 10 – 15% travel. Some random shift start times based on new product launches.
- If you are looking for your next challenging position then apply now.