Job Title: Production Supervisor
Division: Bailey Metal Products Limited - Concord
Reports to: Plant Manager
Job Purpose Summary
The Production Supervisor shall ensure that products are produced while meeting the production schedule, product quality, packaging and safety requirements of the company. This includes employee scheduling, liaising with all departments including production scheduling, shipping and maintenance. The incumbent is also responsible for completing the daily production schedule, ensuring full compliance with Bailey’s H&S program, scheduling and overseeing employee training, maintaining plant housekeeping, supporting all continuous improvement efforts and, fulfilling customer quality and delivery requirements.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The responsibilities and accountabilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise and schedule daily activities of full-time and temporary workers to ensure orders can be completed meeting customers & inter-departmental requirements.
- Monitor product quality as part of the company quality program.
- Oversee equipment set-up, train operators as required.
- Assist operators with quality and machine issues.
- Monitor plant production and shipping materials. Work with Plant Administrator to order as required. Recommend necessary purchases for management approval.
- Identify and implement work measures to improve work methods, products, productivity, safety, and quality of products.
- Review all reports as assigned and take corrective actions as required.
- Coordinate operator training as required.
- Monitor coil inventory levels and rejected coils and report to materials department.
- Review all work performed by production employees for completion, accuracy and quality and identify their performance requirements and company training needs.
- Conduct and document regular monthly meetings to discuss, and review improvement ideas with hourly employees. Meetings will also be used to communicate new procedures, re-visit existing procedures, company policies and procedures, and safety talks.
- Conduct and/or oversee all on the job training and documentation of new or existing employees.
- Assist in the development of succession planning for replacement of key employees.
- Promote teamwork and open communication within and across all work areas and departments.
- Participate in selection process, performance review, discipline and training and recommend actions such as hiring, promotions and appropriate disciplinary actions.
Health and Safety:
- Maintain working knowledge of all company Health & Safety policies and all relevant OH&SA regulations.
- Correct and communicate on any unsafe acts/conditions to management.
- Support and promote all aspects of the Corporate Health & Safety program.
- Perform regular workplace inspections, both scheduled and unscheduled.
- Conduct regular safety talks with employees as part of the Corporate Health and Safety program.
- Report all accidents/incidents promptly, conduct investigation & act on recommendations.
- Comply with all company safety programs, confidentiality and legal requirements.
- Maintain a high standard of professional knowledge and ethics when dealing with customers, suppliers, peers, subordinates, supervisors and company management.
- Participate in the company’s quarterly inventory count.
- Other responsibilities and accountabilities as assigned by management.
- 10+ years of supervisory experience, with excellent knowledge of roll forming, metal stamping, and other metal forming processes.
- Able to operate and/or supervise steel coil forklift and overhead crane handling.
- Knowledge of LEAN manufacturing with previous experience is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of OH&SA regulations.
- Preferred post-secondary (minimal high school) education, proficient speaking and writing English
- Personal attributes include ethical, communicative, coaching, open-minded, observant and tenacious.
- Quick learner, team player with initiative.
- Capable of meeting deadlines.
- Fast-paced plant environment.
- Physically able to lift materials up to 50 pounds.
- Overtime as required.